Organizational Development Intern - Berlin
Opportunity Title: Organizational Development Intern - Berlin
Starting date: 1 September 2021
Position Type: Internship
Reports To: ARDI Director and Sr. Programs Manager
Duration: 6 months Part-Time / 3 months Full-Time
Internship Location: Berlin, Germany (home-based)
Atlas Relief and Development International -ARDI e.V. is an international development organization working to empower diverse communities affected by conflict to shape and participate in the peaceful, inclusive, rights-based, and secure futures they envision. ARDI specializes in supporting civilians and civil society organizations affected by conflict in the MENA region, as well as addressing social inclusion and advocacy efforts across Europe. The organization is registered in Turkey, Germany, and the United States, with a strong background of experience leading programming in Syria, Turkey, and Europe. ARDI focuses on a wide variety of development and social impact projects focusing on women’s empowerment, capacity building and training, technical research, in-depth surveys, CVE and the amplification of diverse and minority voices.
ARDI was founded in 2016 and works directly with major government donors across Europe and North America. As a small, yet growing organization. ARDI has a strong track-record of impactful programming, but still has a “startup” culture with significant opportunity for professional growth, leadership on core initiatives, and room to help steer the programmatic direction of ARDI in Germany.
ARDI is seeking to expand our team with an ambitious emerging professional and/or recent graduate who wants to join a small but established organization who can help the organization grow our networks and funding base, while simultaneously developing valuable, hands-on professional experience in the international development field. The role is focused on forging strong networks and relations in Germany (local leaders and associations, national organizations, and government agencies) and with the European Union,catalyzing ARDI to expand our reach and impact.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter, solutions oriented, outgoing, and strategic. An excellent verbal and written communicator (English and German) who thrives in building strategic relationships and partnerships. This position reports to the Director and will work closely with the Sr. Program Manager to meet our objectives.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in increasing the awareness of the ARDI’s goals and the mission it serves, to awide, yet strategically aligned, audience.
- Assist in expanding and strengthening ARDI's network in Berlin and across Germany among organizational donors, partners, and other relevant stakeholders through researching and investigating new grant sources or innovative programs and present pertinent information to the ARDI Management Team.
- Assist in the development of technical strategies and tools to record,track, and expand ARDI’s local and international network.
- Identify and attend relevant conferences and events (both virtual and in-person) with the aim of engaging ARDI in networking opportunities and partnerships.
- Assist in drafting internal and external documents and materials to build or retain relationships with donors, volunteers, community members, and other current or potential supporters of ARDI in order to keep them up-to-date with ARDI’s efforts and the needs of our beneficiaries.
- Routinely tracking notice of funding opportunities (NOFOs).
- Support strategic planning around current and emerging funding trends, and local/international needs or challenges relevant to ARDI’s efforts.
- Contribute to concept and proposal development of funding opportunities by assisting in the technical requirements of proposals including aggregating needed documents/forms, developing a master template, contributing to narrative content, and copy editing.
- Assist in the design of project and proposal related templates, tools, training materials, and activity strategies for project design and implementation
- Draft unsolicited concept notes and other resources in line with new and emerging humanitarian and development needs of ARDI’s beneficiaries and target areas to share with current and potential ARDI supporters and donors, as well as to build collaborative partnerships with other relevant organizations.
- Support on office management related tasks, including translating and responding to German governmental requests and requirements, coordinating with German-speaking points of contact, and attending association-related meetings to support German-English communication.
- Support to file and organize German-language organizational documentation.
- Conduct research into regulations dictating association functions and abilities in Germany.
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- Be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or masters degree program with a compulsory internship as a part of your studies.
- Academic background in international development, international relations, humanitarian relief, emergency response, peacebuilding, conflict resolution, human rights, governance, or related studies.
- Strong written and verbal communication, both English and German.
- Established network or ability to establish networks in Berlin or throughout Germany is a plus.Experience in or understanding of grant and proposal writing for complex international projects, and donor funding cycles. Experience in report, research, and/or grant writing.
- Ability to thrive in uncertainty, work with ambiguity, ask questions regularly, and contribute meaningfully.
- Strong ability to collaborate as a part of a diverse multicultural team in Germany, the United States, and Turkey.
- Knowledge of the Middle East and the impacts of conflict in the region/Europe, preferred.
- Exemplary planning and organizational skills with a high degree of detail orientation.
- Strong electronic communication skills and ability to work effectively in a distance-based capacity
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multitask
- Ability to work independently and take initiative.
- Responsible, responsive and enthusiastic.
- Experience in Microsoft Office and G-Suite.
*Individuals who successfully complete the internship with satisfactory reviews are prioritized for potential ARDI employment opportunities*
To apply for this position, please send your CV, cover letter, and a recent writing sample (5 pages or less) in the form below by August 15 2021 at 23:59 CEST.