Job Title: Programs Manager Reports To: Director and Senior Programs Manager Position Type: Full-Time Job Location: Istanbul, Turkey Starting date: 1 March 2021
Atlas Relief and Development International (ARDI) is an international development organization working to support and strengthen civil society in conflict zones by providing the knowledge, skills and resources for civilians to actively shape and participate in a peaceful and democratic future. ARDI specializes in supporting civilians affected by the conflict in Syria. The organization conducts programming within Syria, Turkey and Europe. The organization focuses on a wide variety of development and social impact projects focusing on women’s empowerment, capacity building and training, technical research, in-depth surveys, CVE and the amplification of diverse and minority voices.
ARDI was founded in 2016 and works directly with major government donors. It is a small and growing organization. We seek to expand our team with a professional who can help the organization maximize the productivity and execution of our small team. ARDI has a strong track-record of impactful programming, but still has a building-the-plane-as-we-fly-it culture. The ideal person for this position is an excellent communicator with a strong ability for empathy and motivating others. They will also be an excellent people manager with wide networks among Syrian and Turkish populations in Turkey.
ARDI is seeking a talented professional who wants to join a small but established organization to help develop and grow an existing team. The role is focused on development project management, people management, office management, and organizational operations. We are looking for someone to grow the capacity of our current team, directly support our ongoing activities in the Middle East and Europe, expand and strengthen our network among local and international organizations, and navigate the Turkish bureaucracy of an international organization operating in Istanbul.
The ideal candidate is a strong self-starter to is looking for challenges to solve. An excellent verbal and written communicator who knows English and Turkish – Arabic is a plus. Managing and growing successful teams as well as the systems that keep them running smoothly, is essential. This position reports to the Director and will work closely with the Senior Program Manager to meet our objectives.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the Programs Manager include, but are not limited to:
- Support project implementation efforts, particularly around coordinating numerous staff workflows, competing project priorities, and the coordination of numerous staff members/partners to ensure project implementation targets and outcomes are met.
- Support ARDI’s reporting obligations with donors. Including contributing to report writing, tracking milestones, financial oversight, and supporting the development of deliverables in coordination with local partners.
- Support the development of surveys, needs assessments, and data collection & analysis tools, and other templates and tools as required.
- Support writing periodic atmospheric reports providing a situational or regional overview of recent events in areas ARDI is working.
- Support reporting requirements relevant to ARDI’s operations, including annual reports, capacity documents, and organizational overviews.
- Support the development of website and social media content in line with ongoing project and organizational initiatives.
- Establish and maintain a functional, well-supported, and innovative workplace environment among a diverse staff by guiding, counseling, and motivating employees.
- Conduct weekly team meetings and daily one-on-one meetings to provide ongoing support and oversight to all staff members.
- Develop and implement tools, systems, and training processes to foster increased internal organization, strengthened quality of work, new skills and experiences among staff.
- Oversee day-to-day workflow and ensure daily, weekly, and monthly targets are met in line with internal and project-specific targets and objectives.
- Support employees through the development of individual workplans. Conduct regular performance reviews for staff and develop plans to address underperformance.
- Work with Director to create growth pathways for current staff and supporting the hiring process for new staff, as needed.
- Develop controls, processes and procedures to promote consistency in programming, reporting, and communication. Includes supporting the development of training curricula, internal policies, and forms/templates.
- Manage and supporting financial compliance and controls. Including ensuring that adequate financial controls are present and utilized as well as tracking compliance to existing and new contracts.
- Oversee, project budgets and monthly expenditures in partnership with ARDI Finance Officer.
- Develop and expand ARDI’s current accounting tools according to best practices.
- Support the development of concept notes, proposals, MEL frameworks, and other components required during contracting phases in line with both solicited (NOFO, RFP) and unsolicited proposals.
- Represent ARDI at donor meetings, conferences, and other events. Including international travel to represent ARDI with donors and partners.
- Expand and strengthen of ARDI’s Turkey-based network of Turkish and Syrian civil society organizations, activist and community leaders, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Expand and strengthen of ARDI’s international network of organizational donors, partners, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Development of technical strategies and tools to record and track ARDI’s local and international network
- 3-5 years of experience in international development, humanitarian relief, emergency response or government. Preference to individuals who have managed successful teams and with previous experience in programming and operations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Successful management and growth of diverse teams. Including motivation, workplans, tracking, and developing pathways for employee growth.
- Experience growing the capacity and scale of small/medium sized organizations to deliver high quality services.
- Solid knowledge of monitoring and evaluation (M&E) and gender integration concepts and practices.
- Ability to thrive in uncertainty and work with ambiguity.
- Strong ability to collaborate as a part of a diverse multi-cultural team in Germany and Turkey.
- Strong English language skills, written and verbal. Excellent communication.
- Strong Turkish language skills, written and verbal. Excellent communication.
- Knowledge of Syria and the impacts of the conflict in the region/Europe, preferred.
- Knowledge of Arabic language (written and verbal, preferred).
- Turkish nationality is mandatory.
To apply for this position, please visit ARDI’s website and complete the application form. Your current CV and cover letter will be required for consideration: https://atlasrdi.com/career