Job Title: Finance Officer Reports To: Grants & Finance Manager and Executive Management Position Type: Full-Time Consultant/Contract role Job Location: Berlin, Germany Application Deadline: October 30th at 11:59 p.m. (U.S. Eastern Standard time)
Atlas Relief and Development International (ARDI) is an international development organization registered in the United States, Germany, Turkey, Iraq, and Syria working to support and strengthen civil society in conflict zones by providing the knowledge, skills and resources for civilians to actively shape and participate in a peaceful and democratic future. ARDI specializes in supporting civilians affected by the conflict in Syria. The organization conducts programming within areas affected by conflict and migration, including across Syria, Turkey, and Europe. ARDI leads programming across a wide variety of development projects, including expertise in peacebuilding, women’s empowerment, capacity building, civil society strengthening, political participation, economic empowerment, technical research, awareness-raising, and the amplification of diverse and minority voices.
ARDI is seeking an experienced professional to engage in all aspects of ARDI’s financial, administrative, operational duties, which include accounting, budgeting, grants management, and organizational tasks. The ideal candidate should be analytical and demonstrate in-depth knowledge of financial policies, procedures, and systems. In addition, this role will support the development of grant concept notes, budgets, and provide oversight over grant projects. ARDI works directly with major government donors across North America and Europe in prime implementer, consortium partner, and subcontractor roles. We are currently working to expand our project portfolio, with the aim to contract with new donors and partners while maintaining our strong and trusted relationships with existing donors and partners. As a swiftly growing organization, with an expanding presence across the MENA region, our programmatic capacity is also growing and we seek to secure funding opportunities that will enable us to build upon the significant groundwork we have been working to establish so that we can enrich our support to communities affected by conflict. This position reports to and works closely with the Grants & Finance Manager to meet our objectives in collaboration with other relevant members of the ARDI team.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the Finance Officer include, but not limited to:
- Record accounting transactions for asset, liability, and capital account entries by compiling and analyzing account information
- Work with the Grants & Finance Manager to update and implement financial and procurement policies to guarantee operational efficiency
- Support the preparation and planning of annual organizational budgets and project-specific budgets
- Leverage digital filing structure to maintain financial records for all transactions
- Support preparation for project-specific reviews and annual financial statement audits
- Monitor and track all bank deposits and payments;
- Perform periodic financial analysis to detect and resolve problems
- Support preparation for project-specific reviews and audits from funding entities
- Prepare monthly project-level financial reports
- Support the formulation of strategic project budgets that directly aligns with NOFO requirements and builds upon ARDI’s expertise, local capacities, and diverse network
- Develop and/or update financial templates and tools relevant to concept notes and proposals
- Develop and implement process for re-organizing digital filing structure
- Assist team with managing team calendar and scheduling internal and external meetings, calls, conferences, and trainings
- Completed undergraduate/graduate-level studies or have work experience in accounting with experience within the nonprofit management, international development or humanitarian aid sector;
- Experience working in one or more accounting information systems (i.e., Quickbooks, MS Dynamics, Xero, etc.) and performing month-end and year-end closing procedures;
- Strong understanding of U.S. GAAP and can perform desk research to understand complex accounting issues;
- Interest in international relations/affairs, political science, public administration, public policy, humanitarian affairs, etc.;
- Dynamic self-starter who thrives off of tackling complex challenges and identifying strategic solutions in a distance-based working environment and has the ability to manage a portfolio of work independently with minimal supervision;
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google;
- Preferred Arabic language (oral and written communication skills) and excellent English oral and written communication skills (knowledge of other languages are an added advantage);
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse, multi-ethnic, and multi-linguistic staff;
- ARDI welcomes all diverse candidates to apply for a volunteer role, with specific encouragement to those with refugee backgrounds, women, LGBTQI+, people with disabilities, people of color, and those with marginalized backgrounds or experiences.
To apply for this position, please send your recent CV and Cover Letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hiring is conducted on a rolling basis until a qualified candidate is selected or by November 30th at 11:59 p.m. (U.S. Eastern Standard time). Please indicate the title of the position in the subject of your email "Finance Officer".
ARDI is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment for all and are an equal opportunity employer with zero tolerance towards discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, disability, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by international and federal laws, as well as those in our locations of operation.