Job Description – AR/EN Translator
|Job Title: Translator (AR/EN)
Position Type: Full-Time
Starting date: January 2019
Job Location: Istanbul/Turkey
Reports To: Director, Program Managers and Field Manager
Atlas Relief and Development International (ARDI) is woman-led organization, registered in the United States, Germany, and Turkey. The overall objective of the organization is to empower Syrian people and organizations with the knowledge, skills, and tools needed to actively shape and participate in a peaceful and democratic future Syria. The organization focuses on capacity building programs for civic leaders, women, youth, ethnic and religious minorities, members of local councils, and civil society organizations.
ARDI is looking for a translator to support its translation tasks, mainly Arabic to English and vice versa. Translation materials vary in type (e.g.reports, surveys interviews, and others ) in the humanitarian and development fields. Translators must ensure that translated versions convey the meaning of the originals as clearly as possible. This includes transmitting cultural references and linguistic expressions that do not translate literally.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The primary duties and responsibilities of the Translator include, but are not limited to:
- Translate materials (text or audio) from the source language to equivalent in target language, providing grammatically correct, well-expressed final versions;
- Relay the style and tone of the original language;
- Research legal, technical, and scientific terms to find appropriate equivalents;
- Retain and develop knowledge on specialist areas of translation;
- Proofread and edit final translated versions;
- Provide brief oral translations during meetings as needed; and
- Liaise and follow up with ARDI staff regarding translations.
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s, or Master’s, degree in translation, English literature, or social sciences; or equivalent combination of education and work experience;
- Excellent spoken and written skills in Arabic and English; any other languages such as Turkish or German are an asset;
- Three or more years of experience working as an Arabic/English translator or similarly related position;
- Experience working in international humanitarian and development desirable;
- Proficiency in word processing and spreadsheets (ex: MS Word, MS Excel); and
- Residence permit in Turkey and valid passport.
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES
- Excellent communication and organizational skills;
- attention to detail;
- Ability to multi-task, determine priorities and work under pressure;
- elf-direction and ability to work with minimal supervision if necessary;
- Ability to manage work schedules to meet deadlines;
- Strong time-management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse, multi-ethnic and multi-linguistic staff.
Interested candidates should submit their CVs along with a letter of motivation (1 page maximum) in English to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Sunday, 9 December 2018.
To note, candidates selected to move forward in the hiring process may be asked to complete a translation exercise prior to the final selection for this position.[:]